Thursday, October 25, 2007

Cheating or not cheating?

My Cheaters post generated a lot of comments. I apologize to Chris, Kent, Paul, and Dino for calling them cheaters. After reading all the comments, and seeing this photo (pointed out by Timmer), I can see there was a small window left open for interpretation.

My accusations were based on hearing the course organizers talking about how C and B racers had ridden around the stairs, and that they moved the tape in to eliminate that possibility. I agree this info should have been passed on at the start of the A race by the officials to make it clear.

I don't question any one's ability to ride a 4" wide piece of concrete. Even if it were clearly stated at the start that it was allowed, I never would have attempted it. That said, I still say it was cheating if you rode on the grass next to the stairs, even if you just "slipped off the curb". You can't convince me the stairs were intended to be an "optional" obstacle.

Hollywood, as far as riding down stairs at the State CX go, bring it on. I admire creativity in conquering an obstacle, as long as you ride through or over it, not around it.

I already heard that we are expected to dismount and jump over the stream at Northfield this weekend, instead of bunny hopping it. Is it enough for the officials to simply state this at the start? At this point, I think if they don't want us to bunny hop it, they better put a barrier in front of it. Even that might not stop some of the more skilled riders.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

19 ta zero, good comeback Jimmer!

Doc said...

Props to you, Jimmer. Here's my take from my blogsite:

http://docsadvice.blogspot.com/2007/10/traffic-traffic-traffic.html