Saturday, October 20, 2007

Twine Ball CX Recap




Jordan and I travelled out west to Darwin, MN to do the Twine Ball Cyclocross Race. It was a chilly morning, only 40 degrees when we left Hudson at 7:45AM. We arrived with plenty of time to check out the course, which was a killer. A long grinding uphill, which ended with a run-up for most at the top. Then a technical, twisting downhill, with the only set of barriers at the bottom, where you entered some woods. You came into the barriers with a ton of speed, so scrubbing it was a bit of a challenge. The barriers were placed going up a hill, which made them seem taller than normal. They were also spaced out on the hill, making the run-up even tougher. The single track through the woods wasn't too technical, but there was a quick descent, followed by a greasy uphill, which could be ridden if you carried enough speed into it. After rolling through the woods, it opened back up, and there was one last hill, which could also be ridden, but was greasy enough to be a challenge. One final turn, then the finish, and back up the hill again. Overall, a challenging cyclocross course (even though there were only 2 barriers), with plenty of technical challenges, and very few places to recover.

It was still pretty chilly by the start of the C race and turnout was light (only 20 C racers). There was a total of 4 younger juniors racing, including Jordan. Jordan had a rough start. His rear brake cable had popped off the hanger somehow, so he had to ride the first lap without it. It caused him to go flying into the weeds on the twisting descent, forcing him to dismount and run back up the course. He managed to keep it together the rest of the lap to the finish, where I was able to quickly pop the cable back into place. He never looked back after that, and moved up several places. He ended up 12th overall and 1st in the younger juniors. Congrats buddy. Michael Gaines was 2nd, with LSC teammate Tristan Manderfeld 3rd, and Brian Gaines 4th. Poor Tristan struggled the entire race with his shimano SPD cleats. They kept getting clogged with mud, and he was unable to clip in for most of the race. That didn't stop him from mounting a last lap charge where he almost caught Michael. Way to tough it out Tristan.

There were a total of 29 starters in the A race. The temperature had warmed up nicely. As usual, I started in the back. I was second from last to reach the top of the hill. I was able to get passed a couple of guys at the top before starting the twisting descent. I slid out in the first turn on the descent, and ended up on my back, slowing the progress of the 2 poor guys who were behind me. Sorry. I was able to remount quickly, and catch back up to the rear of the group in the woods. I caught and passed Dag Selander and a couple others, and then proceeded to crack a little, allowing them to catch back up to me. I let them by, and just couldn't stay with them. I was suffering like a dog, and then I started to see some of the casualties. First Hollywood, then Patty Cakes, then Dan Swanson, and Andy Kruise. They all gave up the ghost early, although Patty Cakes did eventually finish. I thought to myself, no matter how much I hurt, I was finishing this race. About half way through the race, I started getting lapped. First Bjorn came through me like a freight train, then Bergman, Hareland, etc. I had lost sight of Dag, but I kept grinding away. The run-up at the top of the long grinder was killing me, and I damn near drilled the barriers once. As I rolled towards the finish to get the bell, Patty Cakes told me that Bjorn was closing in on me. I took that as an opportunity to slow and rest, to allow Bjorn to lap me again, allowing me to skip my last lap, and end my suffering. Bjorn even messed with me a little, and wouldn't go around me at first. What a kidder.

I have to give props to Zim and his crew for giving us the new and challenging course. I felt bad that turn-out was light, but hopefully the word will spread on how great a job they did, and more will come next year. They even fed us burgers after the race. Many thanks. Jordan went home with a cool medal, and I finished 4th (out of 5) in the Masters, just out of the medals (see, I told you Maren).

On the way home, I called Painman to find out why he didn't make it. Turns out he did come to the race, but got this weekend's flyers confused, and thought the race started at 1:45 (Powderhorn's start time). He rolled up 20 minutes after the start of the A race. Rather than kill more of his afternoon, he simply turned around and went home. As he was telling me, part of me felt bad, and the rest of me couldn't stop laughing. I guess it pays to sweat the details. eh Painman?

Results Posted


Cyclocross wannabe Maren, giving it a try in the backyard.

2 comments:

Lunatic Biker said...

Tell Maren not to be a wannabe and come out and race. That dismounting is vastly over-rated and your overall level of fitness is the key. Those run ups kill me and my messed up knees. Glad there's no barriers at the Dog. Good job hanging in the Jimmer and dealing with the mechanical, Master Cullen.

Anonymous said...

Might see U today Jimmmmm. But great job finishing!
-muyres
http://lostbobafett.bravejournal.com/