Friday, October 12, 2007

Road Trip

My father-in-law wanted to have his 1998 Mustang Convertible down at his vacation home in Cape Coral, Florida. I talked him into driving it down, rather than shipping it. Thus begins our adventure.

We left after work this past Wednesday. He drove to the WI-IL border, then I took over. I immediately missed our exit off I-90 and didn't figure it out until we were almost in Chicago. Rather than back track 30 miles to I-39, we figured out an alternate route down to I-57. Overall, the mistake probably cost us around an hour. I drove through the night, and handed the driving off at about 8AM in Tennessee, and slept in the car for about an hour. We stopped at Stuckey's, where I had been about 28 years ago on a family trip to Disney World. All I remember was all of us laughing so hard, we about pissed our pants. I can't remember what we were laughing about, but the place hasn't changed. It's an absolute hole-in-the-wall dump.

Billboards galore in Tennessee. Hundreds of "See Ruby Falls" signs. I took over driving again in Georgia. We had one last rest stop in Northern Florida, where we ate at Whataburger. Tom drove the rest of the way. We arrived at about 9:30PM on Thursday. I promptly went to sleep until noon on Friday.

1720 miles
72.79 gallons of gas
23.63 mpg
27hrs 20mins total trip time
25hrs drive time
2hrs 20mins stopped time
68.7mph average speed
87.1mph max speed (Tom, not me)

Ready to begin the adventure.

Why did I let you talk me into this, Jim?

Snore? I don't snore.

1998 Mustang Convertable with 11,111 miles on it

Dreaming of Stuckey's

It's just like it was 28 years ago

Only 750 more miles to go.

Finally. Only 350 more miles to Cape Coral.

6 comments:

Lunatic Biker said...

I still tease about Stuckey's but I didn't know any of them were still in existence. Doesn't look they've upgraded. Brings back fond memories of road trips with Ma.

Anonymous said...

Thelma & Louise revisited!

Anonymous said...

Your nuts

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked Dad got the pictures in focus!

Your Favorite Sister-In-Law

Anonymous said...

To follow the pattern of the last couple weeks, where you go somewhere and then ride home, I've been waiting for a report on the ride back

JimmerC said...

Sorry Kevin. I flew back on a plane on Monday.