Sunday, October 28, 2007

Northfield CX Recap

Awesome course layout today. Loved the unique pinwheel feature. The hill climb was brutal. Dismount at the bottom, over 2 barriers which seemed about 3 feet tall, a short run-up, then remount and grind up the switchbacked climb. Ouch. Plenty of technical, and plenty of open riding. Definitely one of my favorite courses.

Turnout was lite, as some expected. Jordan won the younger juniors, followed by the ever present Michael and Brian Gaines. We were also treated to a sprint finish between Raymond Warns Ledesma and Zach Stillwell for the older juniors title. Zach came out on top.

There were only 28 A racers. I started harder than I would normally, and settled into the middle of the pack. The climb killed me every time, but the downhill through the woods was awesome. I dropped my chain 2x, forcing me to stop and remount it each time. That sucked, but got my adrenaline going. The last few laps, I could see Mark Mlinar making some ground on me, so I pushed as hard as I could to stay away. He definitely closed on me during the last couple laps, but I was able to hold on to the finish. I ended up 4th in the Masters 35+, and about 13th overall. Doug Swanson won easily, followed by Casper. Bergman ended up DNF'ing after he slid out in one of the fast turns, and had more bike problems. Bummer.

Congratulations to Dan Casper for sealing the Masters 35+ CRY with his win at Northfield.

Lunatic and Jordan. Too bad I couldn't get a shot both of them in costume.

Jordan in full flight at the bottom of the hill.

I swear the barriers on the climb seemed 3 feet tall.

The switchbacked climb.


The way close finish between the Lindas

3 comments:

Lunatic Biker said...

I'm bringin' an axe to the next cross race I do for those barriers even if it means I get dq'ed for life.

Kristy Kreme said...

Jimmer & Jordan,
Great riding this weekend! It's always fun hangin' w/ you two & the crew. See ya soon!

Kristy Kreme said...

Jimmer, you and Jordan have to swing by my blog - I got a great vid of him at Red Barn! : ) You two are so much fun!