Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Oh Schnap, Jordan hit by a Deer


Don't worry, the title is meant to dramatize the encounter. Jordan and I did the Prescott Loop tonight. 2 weeks ago, we rode at night in the rain, and had a near miss with a deer. Amazingly, tonight's encounter was within a few hundred yards of our previous encounter. I'm definitely going to be more careful on that road.

We were cruising along in the dark, pushed by a strong tailwind, with only 10 miles left on our ride. We passed a house, and heard dogs barking and coming after us. We are both familiar with the dogs, and they are harmless. Then, we both heard what we though were the dogs coming through the brush. Only it wasn't the dogs, it was a deer! I caught it in the corner of my eye, and yelled Oh sh?t. The deer ran just behind me, and I cringed, waiting for the sound of Jordan going down. I looked back, and he's still upright, and is saying "Ooohhhhhhh, whoooooo." The deer brushed his back wheel, but not hard enough to knock him down. Both our hearts were racing north of 200. Ironically, Jordan got the hick-ups after that. I guess the deer scared them into him.

3 comments:

Lunatic Biker said...

The deer probably wanted to know why the tooth fairy hadn't left a quarter on his pillow.

Anonymous said...

Jordo need to quite wearing the scent block.

Anonymous said...

I saw an 8 point buck on the way home from work this morning, too bad I didn't have my bow. You can hunt in town with a permit you know.